I have never done one of these book tags before but this one seemed fun so here’s mine.
- A book that is an exception when it comes to genres or elements you don’t typically like
The Color Purple is a book that is written through letters and notes and I usually can’t stand that kind of thing. But in this book, it’s done beautifully and I wouldn’t change a word. I’m glad I gave it a try and found something excellent to read.
- A book you enjoyed from a genre you previously held some stigma against
Lonesome Dove is basically a western and I almost never read westerns. I’m too much of a city person to relate usually but this one kept my interest the whole time and it was worth the effort, teaching me that, yes, there are westerns worth reading.
- A book you didn’t know was out of your comfort zone until you started reading it
I have a pretty strong stomach and I like to give myself a good scare now and again but honestly, nothing could have prepared me for just how uncomfortable The Hot Zone made me. It seems even more relevant now and I don’t think you could pay me to re-read that one now. I barely finished it as it was and I did not get a lot of sleep those nights.
- Pick a friend who motivates you to pick up books you might not normally be interested in –is there a book they convinced you to give a try?
I am not going to name any names here but I do have a friend that convinced me to read Outlander. I thought I was going to just end up wanting to make fun of it, I mean a time traveling nurse who meets her love in Highland Scotland? That’s the plot of a lot of bad romance books but you know what? Outlander is incredible and I can’t give it high enough praise.
- A book that is out of your comfort zone but you would like to read
I’m not one for historical fiction but with all the buzz going around, I really kind of want to give the Wolf Hall series a go. My problem is usually that with historical fiction you know the end before you pick up the book but I just keep hearing good things about these and I am really tempted.
- A book or genre so outside of your comfort zone that you’ll probably never give it a chance
To me, this is the hardest question on this tag to answer. I have pretty eclectic reading tastes and I am happy to read almost anything. But, I guess if I have to pick one type of book I am not going to get into, it’s those non-fiction books about tank warfare and things like that. I don’t think I can get into those at all.
I did this post because I read the tag in Flowersinthebrain’s post and thought it was a great tag. Go check out that blog and like that did, I am going to tag anyone who reads this post. Have fun!